Types of Tests for Coronavirus (COVID-19)
You have probably been hearing a lot about coronavirus testing lately. Critical to the prevention and containment of the spread of COVID-19 is rigorous, accurate testing and lab-to-lab data sharing. If you think you have COVID-19 and need a test, contact either your healthcare provider or in non-emergency situations, you can get tested by mail with Genesis Medical Diagnostics.
Genesis Medical Diagnostics can help you get a test done without a doctor’s order and even if you don’t have health insurance. Our FDA-approved test offers you reliable, affordable, private, and fast results. The laboratory we send your tests to are the same ones that internal and family medicine physicians use. No need to make an appointment — simply reach out to us today with any questions, and order a collection kit online!
Types of COVID-19 Tests
If you or your doctor have determined that getting a blood test is called for, there are two main types of tests for COVID-19:
- Viral tests
- Antibody Tests
- Serological tests (blood test)
Of these tests, Genesis Medical Diagnostics offers PCR (i.e., Viral) Testing. PCR testing directly identifies the presence of antigens, instead of testing for antibodies. Through our testing for viral RNA, we can determine quite accurately whether or not you have the virus, even if the infection is still in an early stage. PCR stands for a lab technique called polymerase chain reaction. The aim of this test is to selectively amplify traces of genetic material to identify specific parts of DNA. By mimicking what happens to DNA in your cells, a PCR test:
- Starts by mixing it with other ingredients like bribes and brimers that bind to SARS-CoV-2.
- Then, the viral RNA is converted to a DNA copy, which is converted into millions of copies, so the PCR test can identify the virus easily.
- Lastly, the presence of SARS-CoV-2 is either detected or it is not, and the data is sent back to you in the form of positive or negative results.
You don’t need to understand the details about how a PCR test works — all you have to know is that it is an effective test for identifying viral infections like SARS-CoV-2, even before any physical symptoms occur.
A similar type of test for diagnosing COVID-19, molecular tests detect genetic material of the virus and can also deliver results within minutes of being conducted. The FDA has approved at-home test-kits for COVID-19 nasal swabs and saliva testing. The sample can be simply mailed from your home to a lab for testing; however, only buy FDA-approved test kits like those offered by Genesis Medical Diagnostics to ensure the accuracy and safety of the tests.
Antibody tests, also known as serology tests, are blood tests that are conducted to find out if you have had a SARS-CoV-2 infection, the virus that causes COVID-19. However, an antibody test will not be able to tell you if you are currently still infected or not, only if your immune system has responded to the presence of the virus already. Specifically, these tests identify certain types of antibodies, like binding and neutralizing antibodies, to identify immune response to the virus.
These tests are conducted for a number of reasons:
- You had symptoms of COVID-19 in the past but were not tested
- You are about to have a medical procedure conducted in a hospital
- You want to donate plasma and have had a COVID-19 infection in the past (which could help treat others with severe cases of COVID-19)
Get Tested for COVID-19 Today
Getting an antigen or molecular test-kit for COVID-19 through Genesis Medical Diagnostics includes:
- Overnight delivery of sample (shipping label included)
- Shipping materials following CDC guidelines for infectious disease samples
- Private, secure digital results
- HIPAA compliance (we never sell customer data)
- Telehealth consultations offered to individuals with positive results
- Positive results communicated to all mandated federal and state reporting agencies
We here at Genesis Medical Diagnostics are committed to doing everything we can to help stop the spread of coronavirus. With us, you will be able to order your test online without a doctor order or insurance approval. You simply pay for your test online, provide a sample specimen, and then you receive your results securely within 72 hours, depending on the complexity of the test. The executive team here at GMD is exclusively composed of licensed physicians and nurses. All tests offered are FDA-approved tests that are conducted in a Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) approved laboratory. Order your COVID-19 test-kit online today!